Monday, December 12, 2011

Linguine Alfredo

I was down for the count this weekend. Not totally, I had a cold. So, I didn't cook Sunday. I did today. What's with my crappy, short sentences?

Moving on.

I have FANTASTIC news! Today, one of my coworkers asked me if I was losing weight!! I immediately said..."Yes! It's paying off!" I've lost about 5lbs...give or take on the day. I haven't been feeling great this past week because I haven't gone to the gym in a week or so. Feeling crappy/things to do has kept me this week. I'll be back to the grove on Wednesday.

Enough of the talk. Onto the cooking.

This weeks WW challenge was Linguine Alfredo.

I modified the recipe a bit because I didn't want all the different veggies they had. And...I didn't have as much parmesan cheese as I thought I had (such is my life).

You'll need:
Fresh Broccoli
1 tbs low fat margarine
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbs flour
1 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup nonfat cream cheese (I could only find it in the Philadelphia brand a Walmart and I ended up using more of this because I didn't have enough parmesan cheese)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
4 cups cooked linguine (almost the whole box and I used whole wheat)

Start off with chopping the fresh broccoli!


I have to confess....up until now I've been afraid of fresh garlic. I've avoided it through my first few years of cooking, but I am now embracing fresh garlic! Start chopping it up!


Mean while, start cooking the linguine!


In all seriousness, this was the first time I ever chopped up fresh garlic. Amazing! 


In another pot, start melting the margarine. Once it's melted, add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds (or until your whole house smells like garlic)!


Add the flour and whisk away until blended!


Go ahead and add the milk while you're at it! 


Now it's time for the best part....the cheese! And if you're like me and you thought you had more parmesan cheese....add some extra cream cheese. Or don't if you have it together and you have all the ingredients you need :)


When it's all stirred together and warm, you're read to put the linguine, alfredo sauce, and broccoli together! 


Seriously, it smells better than the alfredo from Maggiano's! I haven't tried it yet, but I can't wait! My husband even said it smelled yummy when he walked in the door. And he usually turns his nose up to my WW recipes. 

I make these for my lunches for work and I already divided them up, like this. 


The WW cookbook says it's 5 pts. per serving (old school) and about 276 calories. Makes 4 servings. 

Enjoy! I'm sure I will! 



1 comment: