Sunday, January 8, 2012

Homemade Croutons

What do you do with your abundance of left over bread?

I usually feed the geese and ducks in the pond behind our complex with our left over bread. But this week I had a TON of left over bread. Since I just recently ran out of croutons, I decided to see if I could make some!

You will need:
1/4 cup of melted butter
16ish slices of bread
Seasonings (garlic salt works if you don't have anything)

I started off with setting out my bread to harden a bit. About an hour on each side.


Then, you'll need to melt a 1/2 of stick of butter.


Put a nice coating of butter on each side of the bread.


Next, add your seasonings to each side of the bread. I happen to have these seasonings you're supposed to add to oil for dipping sauce. I think they are from Bed Bath & Beyond, but I could be wrong. Garlic Salt will work if you don't have any.



Last thing you need to do before you pop them in the oven is cut them up into pieces! I was kind of lazy and didn't cut the crusts off, but you can if you want. You might also want to cut them into smaller pieces, depending on how big you want your croutons.


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake them for 15 minutes.


Yumm! They taste good!


It made about a gallon sized baggie full.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I make my own croutons all the time! What I do is save the bread from the end of loaves that are about to go/are stale. I stick them in the freezer, and when I have enough accumulated, it's crouton time! They never freeze really hard, so a few minutes on the counter to defrost and they're ready to go.

    ReplyDelete