Sunday, January 22, 2012

Senegalese Peanut Soup

It has been a week.

A little over  a week ago my grandmother ,"Mom Mom", passed away. That took its toll on me through the week.

On my way home on Friday, my car literally turned off in the lane of the bank and wouldn't start back up. So, it's sitting at the VW dealer waiting to be worked on tomorrow.

Needless to say, it has been a crazy week. But onto cooking. A distraction from the craziness.

I don't even know how to pronounce the name of this soup, but it tastes good!

You'll need:
15 oz. chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 tbs creamy peanut butter
1 tsp peanut oil
2 onions (chopped)
1 inch piece peeled ginger root, chopped
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

First, chop up your onions, and put them in a bowl to the side.


I'm not going to lie, I've been avoiding recipes that have ginger root in them. Mostly because they scare me. They look like antlers! Secondly, I don't really like ginger, and I don't think I'd use it again in the recipe. But go ahead and chop it up if you like it! I used about a tsp of it.


Go ahead and drain & rinse your chick peas. Then put them in the blender.


Put 1/2 cup of the chicken broth in the blender.


And the peanut butter- yummmm :)


Puree all those ingredients. Put it to the side.

In a large sauce pan, head up the peanut oil. I've never used peanut oil before...but I guess it worked out fine!


Add the onions & ginger root (if you're using it). Saute for about 7-8 minutes.


Add your curry powder (go heavy). And stir in.


Then, add your cumin.


This part wasn't in the original recipe, but I didn't really want the chunks of onion in my recipe. So I added it to the peanut-chick pea puree and pureed it together.


Then put it back in the sauce pan and add the rest of your chicken broth.


Lastly, add the diced tomatoes and heat it all up!


It tastes good :)


Ok, I lied. One last thing. As always, I divide mine into the 4 servings for lunch and sprinkled the cayenne pepper on top then.


Enjoy!

4 WW points (old school) or 215 calories!

Let's hope this sends good vibes my way because I sure could use them!

No comments:

Post a Comment